After those semi-virtuous dishes this one is chance to be a bit naughty, KFC oriental style – delicious!
Crispy chicken for two as a snack or starter to share
- 1 of the chicken breasts, torn by hand with the grain of the chicken into several large-ish pieces
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons five spice powder
- A generous scrunch sea salt
- A few pinches dried chili flakes
- A few handfuls panko breadcrumbs
- A few tablespoons plain flour
- Groundnut oil for frying
- Shredded spring onion and a little fresh coriander
- Sweet chilli sauce to serve
- Mix the panko with the five spice, salt and chillies in a bowl.
- Place the flour into another bowl, and the beaten egg in another – line them up with the egg in the middle.
- Take each piece of chicken in turn and lightly coat in the flour, then the egg and finally the panko, sit them waiting on a plate.
- Heat some groundnut oil in a deep pan (you need the oil a couple of inches deep really) and when its very hot carefully put the chicken in, cook until golden and turn if you need so they are golden all over.
- Remove from the pan carefully when they’re ready (this should take around 6 minutes) and drain on kitchen paper.
- Place into a serving dish along side the sweet chilli sauce and a napkin (tis finger food after all) then eat.