One in the oven.
Nope, it’s not just a pun (tenuously) based on these apple crisps being oven baked, but my way of also saying that I’m having a baby.
It feels really good to finally be able to share our news! You might know I suffer with anxiety and panic, and this first few months have been a testing time where that’s concerned. But, the scans and tests show everything is just as it should be, and now it’s time to sit back and enjoy being a first time mum to be. Cue big smiley face and growing tummy.
I’m excited about all the changes that are going to happen (and have already started), but I don’t mind admitting I’m mighty keen to get my old appetite back. A girl can only eat so many ham salad sandwiches. My tastes for the exotic have dampened down considerably and I’m finding Bakewell tarts and Walkers crisps way more attractive than a miso dashi ramen of some repute.
That said, a happy (and healthier) appetite change has been with the humble apple, which I previously shunned and now can’t get enough of. Crisp and straight from the fridge, or baked to crispy perfection in the oven and munched on instead of crisps (ok ok, as well as crisps) ticks my box a treat.
For a big bowl of apple crisps
- 6 apples, ideally 3 red and 3 green
- Heat your oven to 170°C (150°C fan) Gas 3. Keeping each apple whole, remove the core from each of them.
- Slice each apple very thinly (about 2mm thick). The easiest way to do this is to use a mandolin. It’s also possible to do it using a very sharp knife, but be careful.
- Line two baking sheets with baking paper and lay out the apple slices on them side by side so they don’t overlap. Bake in the oven and keep checking them — depending on how hot your oven is, it might take less time and they can burn easily.
- Turn them every 6 or 7 minutes until they’re a golden colour, then remove them from the oven and place them on a board or plate to cool. As they cool they will crisp up.
- Store in an airtight container — if you feel the need for a dip to go with them yogurt mixed with honey is the perfect choice.